Alex to Kosi – Day 33 & 34

After a rather uncomfortable night of hanging on the edge of our inflatable mattresses to eat our supper of chips and salticrax, the day couldn’t dawn soon enough.  The rain had forced us into the tent at 5pm the previous evening and we’d been stuck inside our little canvas cave since then.

That in itself would not have been so bad if there wasn’t loads of wet clothes hanging from the roof on our make-shift washing line.  This made communication difficult as you had to peek around a pant leg to see the other one.  And the fact that the canvas is so thick doesn’t help with visibility either.  The battery operated lantern that hung from the roof (partially obscured by the washing) didn’t give much light and everything was rather a dark affair.  And that all after we’d finally got everything dry … That was the fourth time we’d rained wet!  But what made it worse was the wind.

Wind and rain is never a good combination and that fact had caused us to haul out all the undercover we had … all the gazebo’s sides.  But alas, it still rained in underneath.  The fact that the gazebo is as old as the hills didn’t help much either since the roof had thinned so much over the years, its kept leaking.

In a desperate attempt to get some nourishment despite the foul weather, we made a headlong dash for the bakkie to haul out our chips and salticrax, oh and some peanut butter.  In the confusion and haste Suzann didn’t take account of a nearby tent peg and consequently went flying.  There she lay, bones in the light, on the wet grass in the pouring rain …  So much for trying to keep everything dry.

Luckily the damage wasn’t too great, just another pair of wet jeans to string up on the line and a bit of a bruise.  But that was it!  Not funny anymore!  Grumpy as a bear with a boil on it’s bum, we crept into bed only to have the rain stop!

But at least everything was dry in the morning and we just had to try and clean the bird poop off the gazebo, sommer with the dishcloth … don’t worry it was a disposable one, and we did dispose of it.

What did however, make us feel inordinately better was the fact that we watched some mountain bikers ride along the lagoon and up the nearby hillside.  How could that make us feel better?  Well, we saw that they couldn’t do it either.  Almost the entire bunch got off and pushed and of those that made the attempt only one crested and two fell off!

Another bright turn to the day was a meeting with a local woman cleaning the parkhome next to our site.  She received the Bibles we gave her to give to needy members of her community with such appreciation that she finally told us to leave as she was going to start crying, ‘what a big Christmas present’ she kept saying.

On a high, we crossed the Kei (hey, that rhymes) on the ferry.

But the high didn’t last too long before we hit the Transkei gravel roads.  They were worse than we remembered and running them didn’t help much either because every cow, bull, goat, chicken, pig, dog, whatever … was out in the road.  It was rather a stop and go affair as every time there were bulls in the road we’d stop, get into the vehicle and drive a safe distance passed them before attempting a bit of a run again.  And then there were the crazy steep hills, of course.  Finally they had us beat.  The wind had come up and we were sick and tired of being the novelty for all the kids that would run screaming, ‘sweety, sweety’ after us.  With wobbly legs from all the hop, skip and jumping over rocks and stones, we’d call it a dusty, sweaty, rather unspectacular day distance wise.

Suzann had done the bulk of the distance because Lynsey had built up a rather unhealthy fear of dogs that stemmed from an incident where she was bitten while out running.  This made the anxiety run amok and the flop sweat trickle down her face … even while driving the bakkie!

Finally we did manage to make it to Kob Inn.

It would be a rest day, and we needed it.  We were more mentally tired than physically but somehow that seemed a whole lot worse and with not having eaten well (except of course the rib supper Phillip and Liesl conjured up for us at Hogsback) we were knackered.  The seafood platter and braai on Kob Inn’s menu was just what we needed.  Kob Inn, you beauty, what a treat, what a generous lot … you guys know hospitality!  Kob Inn will now be a must stop whenever we’re on the Wild Coast.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *